Shipping Vehicles, Motorcycles Campervans & Caravans Overseas
The most popular destination for kiwis leaving NZ is Australia; therefore we will tackle the dos and don’ts when it comes to moving vehicles to Australia, should youwish take that prized Holden or Ford when you head overseas? We can provide accurate information that will help you make the right decision.
- All vehicles need to be owned and used for a minimum of 12 months prior to shipping to Australia, otherwise you could be liable for further import duty and taxes.
- All vehicles require an import approval (VIA) issued by the Department of Infrastructure located in Canberra. The cost of the application is approximately $50.00. Please see below link: https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/
- You will need to prove ownership; preferably by supplying original purchase invoices along with registration documentation.
- 10% GST is generally payable on the purchase price, less depreciation for used motor vehicles; however, this rate can increase for luxury vehicles. For further information regarding payment of duty/taxes please click on the below link: http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo-support-trade-and-goods/importing-goods/importing-motor-vehicles
- If you are unable to provide original or copies of the purchase invoices, Australian customs will require the owner to provide a current valuation. This valuation will be used by customs to determine the amount of taxes payable. Any costs incurred are for the account of the vehicle owner.
- Please ensure you wash and clean the vehicle thoroughly inside and outside, especially those hidden areas under wheel arches, bumpers etc. A good steam clean could save you extra dollars should Australian quarantine decide it still needs further cleaning /vacuuming etc. Please note despite your best efforts, the quarantine team may still insist on additional cleaning if they are not 100% satisfied.
- Should you be sending your personal effects to Australia, and depending if there is space available, there is no reason why your motor vehicle cannot be shipped in the same container. For example if your household contents would fill a 20’ standard container, by switching to a 40’ container; both goods and vehicle could be loaded together.If you only have a small amount of personal effects, most vehicles will fit into a 20’ container with some room to spare.
- Our full service option would include collection of the vehicle, loading and securing inside the container, export customs procedure, shipping to our nominated agent at destination port, all port handling fees included, Australian customs and quarantine clearance, handout depot once released by the relevant authorities.
- Alternatively, if you are only sending the vehicle, Roll-on-Roll off (RO/RO) services are available to Sydney (port Kembla), Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.
- If Ro/Ro is the preferred option, we would arrange delivery to the Ro/Ro operator in Auckland, export customs procedure, payment of Australian port fees, customs and quarantine clearance, handout port of destination or delivery to door if required.
Note: Ro/Ro carriers will not allow any personal effects to be placed inside vehicles including caravans, other than what is an integral part of the vehicle or caravan. Personal effects would need to be shipped separately via our ‘groupage’ service.
We can offer our full service option to most areas of the world. If you are moving to the United Kingdom, Europe or United States; there are also Ro/Ro services available. Please send your request through our on line quote system and will we happily respond with our no obligation detailed quotation.